Table of Contents
The version 11.0 release of the EASY software includes a link to the DVLA vehicle information to enable the Expenses System to obtain vehicle details. Employers have a responsibility to ensure that you are legally covered when using a vehicle for your job, and this release will automatically check the vehicle road fund licence and MOT are valid. The link to the DVLA vehicle information will make it quicker and easier to add a new vehicle, as well as reduce the time you take to add or update your MOT in the Expenses System. This will also decrease the number of checks performed by your manager, or the expenses team.
This article explains how you add a new vehicle to the system, make changes to your vehicle, and link your other jobs to a vehicle. We will also cover how you provide other vehicle related documents, such as your insurance certificate, where these are required by your employer.
Where to Add your Vehicles
Adding a New Vehicle
Follow the steps below to add a new vehicle.
1. Ensure the dropdown field in the Vehicles header is set to "Add new vehicle", and then click on thebutton
2. This will take you to the New Vehicle page that has a number of sections to be completed. The first of these is the Vehicle Search section where you need to select the Vehicle First, you need complete to complete the Vehicle Ownership field.
If you are the owner of the vehicle, you should select "Registered Keeper (Privately Owned)". That is because you will be listed as the Registered Keeper on the Vehicle Registration Certificate, sometimes called the V5 form or document. Otherwise, choose the option that best describes the vehicle ownership.
3. Enter the vehicle registration number, and then click thebutton.
Your employer may not allow you to add vehicles where it is a "Employer Salary Sacrifice Scheme" or "Employer Owned / Lease Car Scheme" vehicle. Where that is the case you will see a message similar to the one below.
4. Where the Expenses System has successfully completed its search, the Vehicle Details section will show the details of the vehicle. If the details are correct, click on thebutton. button to take you back to the Vehicle Search section. button. This will activate most of the fields in the Vehicle Details section so that can make the appropriate changes before selecting the button.
Fields with a bold label must be completed
Where the Expenses System was unable to find any vehicle details for the registration number entered, most of the fields in the Vehicle Details section will be blank so that you may enter the vehicle details. After you have entered the vehicle details, you should click on thebutton.
5. You will now be taken to the Vehicle Documents section, and below we look at what to do when your employer doesn't ask for your vehicle documents, an when they are required.
Where your employer does not require you to add/upload any of your vehicle documents to the Expenses System, the Vehicle Document section will be empty. You just need to click on thebutton, and follow the next step..
Most employers will require your vehicle documents, such as your insurance certificate, to be added/uploaded to the Expense System. In the example we are going to work through, you need to add your insurance certificate. To start, you will need to click on the new document icon.
This will open the 'Document Add' window with the option to choose the insurance certificate file on your computer. Click on thebutton.
This will open a window for you find and select your insurance certificate file. When you have found and selected the file, click on thebutton.
The will take you back to the 'Document Add' window, which will show the file name of the file you selected. Enter the date that your insurance certificate expires in the 'Expiry Date' field. You can type in the date or click on the calendar icon next to, or underneath, the field.
Click on thebutton after you have entered the expiry date.
This will return you to the New Vehicle page, with the Vehicle Document section showing the document reference for the uploaded insurance certificate. If your employer requires you to provide additional documents, you should follow the Adding Documents section above for each document. Click on the button when you have added all the documents.
6. The Assignments section will show all your active assignments. Although the Vehicle Start Date field will show your assignment start date or the vehicles first registration date, you should change the date where you started using the vehicle for work after the date in the field you. After you have amended the date as necessary, click on the Continue button.
7. This now takes you to the Submit section where you are asked to check the details that you have entered before you select thebutton.
8. Your employer will more than likely require you to confirm you the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and that you have the appropriate insurance cover. Where that is the case, a Declaration panel will appear. You will need to click on the box that is before the wording of the declaration. Please ensure a tick appears in the box before going to the next step.
9. Your employer may also want you to certify your declaration by asking you to provide 3 characters from your security word. Should that be the case, the section showing which 3 characters you should provide will be included in the Declaration panel. Enter the 3 characters requested, and then click on thebutton.
The section showing the 3 characters will not be included in the Declaration panel where your employer does not required you to go that extra level of verification. You will just need to click on thebutton.
10. You will then be taken back to the Vehicles page, and depending how the system has been set up, the vehicle details may be sent on to your manager, or the expenses team, for checking and approval. Where that is the case the vehicle status will show as "Submitted" in the Vehicles section, and the vehicle will also appear in the Unaccepted Vehicle Assignments section for each assignment the vehicle is linked to.
You will not be able to make mileage claims for vehicles and assignments that appear in the Unaccepted Vehicle Assignments section.
When the vehicle has been checked and approved, the vehicle status will show as "Accepted", and it will also appear in the Accepted Vehicle Assignments section.
The above image also applies where the vehicle does not need to be checked and approved by your manager.